Our School Year Journal (2015-2016)
This page is intended to provide readers with a quick journal of
events that have taken place this school year. Sometimes
photos may appear on our Main Page without descriptions of what
they pertain to and thus may lead to required clarificiation.
Apart from all the Board Committee Meetings, Board Facilities
Meetings, Board Curriculum Meetings, Parent Information
Meetings, Design Team Meetings, Architect Meetings, Project Manager
Meetings and much more, here you will find a quick synopsis of
events. On this page we will list important events of
what has happened at our school academically and eventfully for the
benefit of our students.
- November 6, 2013, Mayor Proclains STEM Week in San Antonio,
- November 22, 2013, STEM Designation Application due to Texas
- Recruitment for new students began in November 2013 and ended
in January 2014.
- January 31, 2014, application deadline for students
wishing to enroll in our school.
- January 10, 2014, received Early College High School
(ECHS) Designation Letter from Texas Education Agency.
- February, 2014, Ground Breaking Ceremony at Harlandale Stadium
for new building.
- TSI Exam was admistered to all students June 9, 10, and 11, for
- June 2014, teachers are hired.
- Summer Bridge Program: July 21-August 1, 2014 at Palo Alto
College and at Frank Tejeda Academy. Ten Days of instruction
and preparation for our students, 8:30-11:30 each day.
Transportation provided to and from each of the comprehensive high
- August 8, 2014, we receive our STEM Designation from the Texas
- August 25, 2014, first day of school for students
enrolled. We had 100% attendance.
- September 8, 2014, students voted on school mascot and school
- September 13, 2014, students participating in SA Best Robotics
participated in the kick-off at St. Mary's University.
- September 19, 2014, students held elections for Student Council
- October 7, 2014, students participated at National Night Out at
- October 9, 2014, the first planning meeting for the
establishment of our new school's PTA, was held.
- October 9, 2014, students received their laptops in the
evening and learned about Internet Safety.
- October 10, 2014, the Harlandale STEM Early College High School
Mace was introduced to the students. Its meaning and what it
represents was explained to the students.
- October 11, 2014 (Saturday), our female students attended the
"Women Breaking Through Conference" at St. Philips College
which aimed at getting our students more interested in STEM
- First TOYOTA Plant Trip for students, October 13, 2014.
- October 14, 2014, Trinity University came and presented to
students the Upward Bound Program
- October 15, 2014, all students took the PSAT/NMSQ Exam.
- October 25, 2014, Students participated in the SABEST Robotics
Competition at St. Mary's University.
- Second TOYOTA Plant Trip for Students, October 27, 2014.
- October 28, 2014, Students took the mathematics portion of the
- Third TOYOTA Plant Trip for students, October 29, 2014.
- First Oranizational PTA Meeting was held October 29, 2014.
- Fourth TOYOTA Plant Trip for students, October 30, 2014.
- Red Ribbon Week Presentation, October 31, 2014, by Officer Joe
- Students participated in Spirit Week and our School's Fight
Song was introduced. (October 7, 2014)
- November 8, 2014, students attended field trip to UT Health
- November 12, 2014, students attended City of San Antonio's
Mayor's STEM Week Proclamation reading at City Hall.
- November 15, 2014, students participated in Family STEM Day
Field Trip to UTSA Main Campus.
- December 1, 2, and 3, students took the STAAR English I,
Algebra I, and Biology End-of-Course Exams.
- Recruitment for the 2014-2015 School Year began during the
weeks of December 7-19.
- All Students attended Laser Show Downtown at Lila Cockrell
Theater on December 10th, 2014.
- December 18, 2014, received notification of students accepted
into Trinity University's Upward Bound Program.
- December 19, 2014, Ugly Christmas Sweater Day!
- Students got a view of the construction of the new school,
today, January 5, 2015.
- Received our STAAR results from the November 2014
Administration: Algebra I: 80% passed; English I: 97% passed;
Biology: 98% passed.
- Several students participated in judging a science fair at
Schulze Elementary, January 15, 2015.
- Parent Orientation Meeting at Palo Alto College on January
- Students attended their first day of college classes at Palo
Alto College today, January 20, 2015.
- VEX Robotics Competition in Corpus Christi, Texas, Saturday,
January 24, 2015.
- FTC Robotics Competition at Harlandale High School, Saturday,
January 31, 2015.
- Students participated in a Field Trip to UTSA today, February
- Essay Writing Sessions for incoming 9th Grade Students were
held Febaury 17, 19, and 23rd.
- Students participated in a field trip to Ripley's Believe it or
Not on Friday, Thursday, February 19, 2015
- VEX Robotics Participants attended a competition in Houston,
Texas, on Friday, February 20 and Saturday, February
- The Geek Bus came to our school today, Friday, February 20,
- Friday, March 6, 2015, the Lions Club presented the PET Vehicle
to our students.
- Saturday, March 7, 2015, our students attended the University
of Texas at Austin Open House.
- FRC Robotics Competition at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention
Center, March 12-14, 2015.
- Our students appeared in the News regarding a story about
STEM. The video may be seen at:
Guest Visit by Dr. Lunsford from UTHSC on March 25, 2015
for National Doctor Day.
April 11th VEX Competition at Southwest Prep School. Team
8415B was tournament champion and won the Sportsmanship Award. Team
8451 received the Excellence Award (2nd Place.)
New Student Orientation Meeting with Parents was held on April
15, 2014 with over 300 people present.
Students had an opportunity to fly a plane at Stintson
Field as they learned about aeronautics on Saturday, April 8th.
April 23, 24, and 25th, students in the MATE Robotics Club
participate in a competition in Houston, Texas.
May 2nd, students participated in the Cultural Arts
Festival. Students rode in a float and marched as a school in
May 15th, students took the AP Human Geography Exam.
Students went on a field trip to the Texas A&M Marine
Science Vessel in Port Aransas, Texas, on May 16th.
May 29th: Field Trip for ALL STEM ECHS Students to Texas State
June 4th: Last Day of School.